boys team came in sixth at the Minnesota Class A swimming and diving tournament over the weekend at the University of Minnesota Aquatic Center—the school's highest showing.
Swimmers from also competed (see below).
Fridley High School
For Fridley, five swimmers (four plus one alternate) and one diver participated.
They set six new Fridley boys team records:
- 200 yard freestyle: Alberto Orejuela (1:46.17). Fourth place in state championship finals.
- 200 yard IM: Colter Allen (1:54.47). Second place in state championship finals.
- 100 yard fly: Colter Allen (50.55—All-American consideration time). Second place in state championship finals.
- 500 yard freestyle: Alberto Orejuela (4:41.41). Second place in state championship finals.
- 200 yard free relay: Alex Ambuhl, Joey Britvan, Alberto Orejuela, Colter Allen. (1:29.26). Sixth place in state championship finals.
- 400 yard free relay: Alex Ambuhl, Joey Britvan, Alberto Orejuela, Colter Allen (3:18.68). Eighth place in state championship finals. -
Fridley's 400 yard freestyle relay record was last broken in 1985—it took27 years to improve the record time. Record was broken by 1.26 seconds.
- Alex Ambuhl finished 10th overall (also known as secnd in the consolation finals) in the 100 free. It was the third fastest (48.95) 100 yard freestyle time in Fridley history.
- Gavin Madkins finished 16th in state championship finals (11 dives).
- Fridley sixth-place finish (highest in Fridley history) was with 122 points (highest in Fridley history) against 34 scoring teams and 44 participating teams.
- Fridley had two swimmers with second place finishes—the highest finishing places in Fridley's boys swimming history. Colter Allen had two second places; Alberto Orejuela had one second place.
Editor's note: Fridley information courtesy of Jeff Allen.
Spring Lake Park High School Results
Here are results from five swimmers competing for Spring Lake Park. Richard Kepner swam in three events and
Leon Ding came in 21st in the 100 yard butterfly.
Richard Kepner came in 12th in the 50 yard freestyle, and 9th in the 100 yard freestyle.
The SLP 100 yard freestyle relay team of Richard Kepner, Mark Malinovsky, Trevor Mitchell and Trenton Wagner came in 18th.