Reporting Requirements for Landlords

Landlords must submit a Certificate of Rent Paid by January 31st. The deadline is just days away!

Information for Landlords


Landlords, did you know you are required by law to provide a Certificate of Rent Paid (CRP) by January 31st of each year (Minnesota Statutes 290A.19)?


If you own rental property or rent living space to other persons, you must issue a CRP to those persons if:

  • property taxes were payable in that year on the property; or
  • you were not required to pay property taxes, but you made payments in lieu of property taxes


Who must receive a CRP:  You must complete and give one CRP to each married couple or unmarried adult who lived in a rental unit you owned.

  • Married renters:   Give only one CRP to a married couple. If the couple separated or divorced before you issued the CRP, give the CRP to the one who remained in the rental unit. If both moved out, give the CRP to the first one who asks for it.
  • Unmarried renters:   Give a separate CRP to each adult person who lived in the rental unit, even if their name is not on the lease. On the CRP given to each person, provide their name only—do not include others who lived in the rental unit.  If more than one unmarried adult lived in the unit, show that each paid an equal amount of rent, regardless of the amount each person actually paid.

Renters need the CRP to apply for their state Property Tax Refund ("renter's refund").  A landlord who without reasonable cause fails to give a CRP to a renter may be assessed a $100 penalty for each instance.  Even if the renter owes back rent, the landlord must issue a CRP to the renter for the rent that was actually paid.


There is also a penalty if the landlord knowingly overstates the amount of rent constituting property tax.  The penalty is $100 or 50% of the overstatement, whichever is larger.  An overstatement is presumed to be knowingly made if the amount of rent constituting property tax reported is 10% or more above the actual amount.


If you have any questions feel free to contact us at 763-786-7899 or you can get more information on the State of Minnesota's website at www.revenue.state.mn.us.

This post is contributed by a community member. The views expressed in this blog are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect those of Patch Media Corporation. Everyone is welcome to submit a post to Patch. If you'd like to post a blog, go here to get started.


More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something