The overdose death of a Coon Rapids teenager at in Fridley last year led to legislation banning the drug 2C-E that President Obama signed into law Monday.
In a statement from her office, Sen. Amy Klobuchar (DFL-MN) referenced the March 17, 2011 death of Trevor Robinson after a house party in Blaine.
“In Minnesota and across the country, we are seeing more and more tragedies where synthetic drugs are taking lives and tearing apart families,” Klobuchar said. “Today’s action means that this critical legislation to give law enforcement the tools they need to crack down on synthetic drugs is finally the law of the land.”
The measure, which had backing from Klobuchar, U.S. Sen. Al Franken (DFL-MN) and U.S. Rep. Erik Paulsen (R-MN), was part of a larger bill called the "Food and Drug Administration Safety and Innovation Act."
Another part of the bill also has a local tie: It will speed up the federal approval process for medical devices like those produced by Fridley-based .