Among the delegates from Minnesota in Charlotte, NC for the 2012 Democratic National Convention is Hinda Ali of Columbia Heights, who may be the first Somali-American delegate to a major-party national political convention.
She is also one of what one organzation reported is the largest number of Muslim delegates at a national party convention.
According to the Council on American-Islamic Relations, "recent estimates place the number of Muslim delegates at more than 100, up from 43 Muslim and Arab-American delegates at the 2008 Democratic convention, and 25 at the 2004 convention."
Click on the YouTube thumbnail to hear how Ali was recruited by Minnesota's DFL Party, in a short video from The UpTake.
On Wednesday, Sept. 5, delegates heard a lineup of speakers highlighted by former President Bill Clinton:
7 p.m. Central
- Stronger Together Video: Women’s Health
- Remarks by Elizabeth Ann “Libby” Bruce
- Remarks by Cecile Richards, president of Planned Parenthood Federation of America
- Remarks by U.S. Rep. Steny Hoyer of Maryland, parliamentarian of the 2012 Democratic National Committee Convention and Democratic Whip
- Remarks by U.S. Rep. Barney Frank of Massachusetts, honorary chair of the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee GLBT Council
- American Heroes Video: Veterans
- Remarks by Ed Meagher
- Remarks by General Eric Shinseki
- Remarks by Philadelphia Mayor Michael Nutter
- Remarks by Colorado Gov. John Hickenlooper
- Remarks by Sister Simone Campbell, executive director of Roman Catholic Social Justice Organization, NETWORK
- Remarks by Delaware Gov. Jack Markell
8 p.m. Central
- Remarks by Karen Mills
- Progress for People Video: Small Business
- Remarks by Bill Butcher
- Remarks by California Attorney General Kamala D. Harris
- Stronger Together Video: Immigration
- Remarks by Benita Veliz, DREAM Act Activist
- Remarks by Cristina Saralegui, journalist, actor and talk show host
- Remarks by Sandra Fluke, attorney and women’s rights activist
- Remarks by Austin Ligon, co-founder and former CEO of CarMax, Inc.
- An Economy Build to Last Video: Auto-Industry
- Remarks by Karen Eusanio
- Remarks by Bob King, president of the International Union, United Automobile, Aerospace and Agricultural Implement Workers of America (UAW)
- Remarks by Randy Johnson, Cindy Hewitt, and David Foster, former employees at companies controlled by Bain Capital
- Remarks by U.S. Rep. Chris Van Hollen of Maryland, former chair of the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee
9 p.m. Central
- Remarks by Jim Sinegal, co-founder and former CEO of Costco
- Remarks by Elizabeth Warren, candidate for U.S. Senate from Massachusetts
- Nomination Process Set-Up
- Remarks by Los Angeles Mayor Antonio R. Villaraigosa, chair of the 2012 Democratic National Convention Committee
- Remarks by President Bill Clinton
- Roll call vote: Alice Germond, secretary of the Democratic National Committee
- Benediction by Rabbi David Wolpe of Sinai Temple, Los Angeles
What did you think of Clinton's speech? Leave a comment below!