The terror attacks of September 11, 2011 on New York and Washington, D.C., were the solemn inspiration for a local tradition that is now in its 11th year.
The Patriot's Day—Honor the Heroes program brings together people from neighboring communities including Fridley, Columbia Heights, Brooklyn Center, Brooklyn Park, Blaine, Spring Lake Park, St. Anthony and Coon Rapids to honor active or retired military personnel, military veterans, POW-MIAs, firefighters, police officers and emergency medical personnel.
The event is scheduled for Thursday, Sept. 20, 2012, 7:30 p.m., at the athletic stadium. Among the features of the program are:
- Parade of colors by active military personnel, veterans, service organizations and Minnesota Patriot Guard
- Patriotic music and the American Heritage Pipe and Drum Corps
- Speakers and other patriotic activities
- POW/MIA remembrance ceremony performed by the Angels Brigade
- Closing ceremony and memorial for our heroes who have made the supreme sacrifice while serving our country or their community.
- Fireworks, unless the event is relocated to the high school auditorium due to inclement weather
The athletic stadium is located at 79th Avenue NE and Able Street NE in Spring Lake Park. Persons attending may enter the stadium through the gate just north of 79th Avenue on Able Street. Ample parking is available in the school lots. There is no admission charge for this program and families including children are encouraged to attend.