Who wears a phony nose, robs banks and hasn't been seen in three months?
That's what the FBI would like to know.
The agency has renewed its appeal for information from the public on a man they believe robbed six banks from March to August. All six banks were inside grocery stores—in New Brighton, Plymouth, Maple Grove, Fridley and St. Louis Park (twice).
The suspect has a distinctive disguise—a fake nose—and often a formal manner of dress, with hat, French cuffs and suit coat.
"It's not a bad disguise. Clearly he's taken some time," said FBI spokesperson Kyle Loven. "I don't know if he's fooling people. I think a lot of people have waked by this guy in the grocery store."
The FBI waited until after election hoopla was out of the news to bring the suspect the agency is calling the 'Fedora-Nose Bandit' to the public's attention again.
"It's been a while since this person has hit. ... He was humming for a while, especially this spring," Loven said. "Perhaps he left the area. Perhaps he's in jail on a drug charge."
Call 763-569-8000 if you have information about this suspect or these incidents.
In all six incidents, the subject used similar mannerisms; displayed a pistol in his right hand; and wore a fake nose, fake facial hair and appeared to have worn tan makeup. Moreover, the robber frequently wears a gray, black, or tan fedora-style hat; tan derby-style hat; and/or a baseball cap. The robber frequently dresses in business suits with French cuffs and cufflinks. For the most recent robberies, the robber dressed less formal. The robber is armed with a black/silver pistol.
Black male, light complexion, 6’0” to 6’2” tall, medium build, approximately 200 lbs., approximately 45 to 55 years old.
The vehicles believed to be used by the robber include a red Ford Mustang convertible with a light or tan top, five spoke rims and with the word “Mustang” on the bumper. Another possible car utilized by the robber is a light-colored, two-door, mid 1990s Ford or Buick with possible primer paint on the passenger side door.
- March 26, 2012: Wells Fargo Bank, Rainbow Foods, 16401 Co. Rd. 30, Maple Grove, Minnesota
- April, 13, 2012: U.S. Bank, Byerly’s Grocery Store, 3777 Park Center Blvd., St. Louis Park, Minnesota
- April 27, 2012: Guaranty Bank, Rainbow Foods, 10200 6th Ave. N. Plymouth MN.
- July 20, 2012: TCF Bank, Cub Foods 256 57th Ave. NE, Fridley, Minnesota
- August 3, 2012: Guarantee Bank, Rainbow Foods, 1540 New Brighton, Blvd. Minneapolis, Minnesota
- August 15, 2012: U.S. Bank, Byerly’s Grocery Store, 3777 Park Center Blvd., St. Louis Park, Minnesota
- Bank Robbery at Wells Fargo Bank in Maple Grove
- FBI Asking for Help Finding Phony-Nosed Bank Robber
- FBI Links Fridley Bank Robber to Plymouth Robbery in April