You don't have to travel far or spend a ton to add to your collection of holiday items, judging by recent for-sale listings for Fridley on Craigslist.
The biggest deal in terms of size is probably the six-foot nutcracker statue. According to the listing, "he is in amazing condition" and hasn't been seen on it's Fridley front yard for five years. ($100/best offer)
Award for best holiday tie-in goes to the vintage Slinky toy, which the "Stocking Stuffer" listing says would make a "Great Christmas holiday gift." ($10)
Runner-up: A little red wagon, an "Antique ... from way back" that "Makes for a great Christmas holiday display." ($40)
Many of the items could help you start your own Christmas in the 1970s exhibit like the one at the Fridley History Center. For example, a vintage gumball machine ($30):
Vintage gumball Machine by Northwestern. Complete & working perfectly, this dates to the 60's & 70's. It's a 25 cent machine, so it takes quarters. Note that this classic vendor has the rare double capacity globe on it. All in all, a very nice collectible that is ready to go, & needs nothing but a new home. Key included. The perfect holiday Christmas gift.
Other local holiday items listed at Craigslist as of noon on Tuesday, Dec. 4, 2012 include:
- Santa and reindeer Christmas set ($100)
- Santa Christmas apron and chef hat ($5)
- Christmas lights ($20 for four unopened boxes)
- Christmas water globe ($20)
- Musical Christmas skating pond ($10)
For a different kind of holiday gift or decorative item, try a local bake and craft sale such as the one at St. Timothy's Lutheran Church on Saturday, Dec. 8, 9 a.m.–3 p.m.
Or try the Metro North Chamber of Commerce's online auction. (Bidding ends Dec. 7 at 4 p.m.)
- 'Christmas in the 1970s' Exhibit at Fridley History Center
- Craigslist 'Missed Connections' at Polling Places
- INTERACTIVE MAP: Best Fridley-Area Holiday Lights
- Patch 'Deck the House' Photo Contest