"I said, the sign says you should take off all jewelry and empty your pockets," said Karilyn's husband Jon, who had recently upgraded the diamond in the ring. "She said, that's a good idea."
The attraction has a sign posted warning of the danger of losing rings:
FYI: The starch in the corn makes rings slip off of fingers very easily, so please be careful not to lose any jewelry in the corn pit.
But it was too late. Karilyn Miller's rign was lost.
Seven semi-truck loads of corn kernels filled the corn pit, KARE11 said—thousands of kernels contained in a pit that is 60 feet square and three feet deep.
Maze staff found the ring using a metal detector.
Usually it's people getting lost at corn mazes and several area corn mazes provide an opportunity for doing that. Here are some of the area corn mazes you can find within a moderate drive of Fridley:
The Twin Cities Harvest Festival and Maze opens in nearby Brooklyn Park Sept. 22 for the 2012 season until Oct. 28. Located on 19.5-acres of land, this year’s maze honors Minnesota military families - with a portion of every ticket sold to the Minnesota Military Family Foundation. Ticket price includes the maze, petting zoo, corn pit and more. Additional activities available for an extra cost.
- Hours: 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Saturday and Sunday (beginning Sept. 22)
- Address: 8001 109th Ave. N, Brooklyn Park, MN 55445
- Contact: 952-992-9326
- Cost: $9 per person
The Otsego based corn maze is located at 101 Market and opens for the 2012 season Sept. 15 through Oct. 31. In addition to the corn maze, activities include animal train rides, bouncing pony, corn cannon, corn pit and more.
- Hours: 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. daily
- Address: 8980 Quantrelle Ave. NE, Otsego, MN 55330
- Contact: 763-441-4487
- Cost: $6-$15 (admission price depends number of activities, check website for details).
This family owned orchard, which opened in 1983, includes a corn maze, wagon rides, corn maze, petting zoo and more. This year’s theme is tractors. The maze opened for the 2012 season Sept. 1 and goes through October.
- Hours: Call for specific hours
- Address: 4875 37th Street SE, Delano.
- Directions: Take Highway 55 west through Rockford, turn left on Wright County Road. (Signs are posted along the way)
- Contact: 763-972-6673
Sever's Corn Maze and Fall Festival started up for the 2012 season for Sept. 14 and goes through Oct. 28. This year’s maze theme is “Harvesting Memories.” Patrons cannot only check out the maze, but a variety of activities Tire Mountain, Pumpkin Blasters and Goat World. Check out Sever’s website for what is included in the admission price and activities with an additional cost.
- Hours: 1 p.m. to 9 p.m. Fridays; 10 a.m. to 9 p.m. Saturdays; 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Sundays
- Address: 1100 Canterbury Road, Shakopee, MN 55379
- Contact: 952-239-8501
- Cost: $13 per person four-years-old and up, children under three free.
Have a favorite corn maze? Share it in comments! Share your corn maze photos by uploading to this post.