She Looked Down at Car Radio, Up at Stopped Bus: Fridley Police Blotter
A car rear-ended a school bus on the first day of school for the second year in a row.
For the second year in a row, a car rear-ended a school bus in Fridley on the first day of school.
According to the officer's account in the Fridley Police Department's incident log for Sept. 5, 2012:
I responded to a property damage crash involving a school bus in the 1500 block of Osborne Road. No injuries were reported and a Commercial Vehicle Inspector was dispatched. One of the driver's was cited for inattentive driving
(Depending on students' school and grade levels, Sept. 4 and 5, 2012 were the first days of school for many Fridley-area students.)
Lt. Mike Monsrud offered more detail about the incident:
The driver who crashed into the rear of the bus was cited for inattentive driving. She told police she looked at her radio to change a setting and when she looked up the bus was stopped and she was unable to stop before striking the rear of the bus.
According to a KSTP-TV report, parents of several students on the bus said their children had injuries such as swollen faces resulting from the impact and had been dropped off on the wrong side of a busy street.
The KSTP report showed photos from a Fridley Patch post about a different car-school bus crash in June 2012.
A car also hit the back of a school bus on the first day of school in 2011, sending the car's driver to the hospital. That school bus was not carrying children at the time. That incident was later featured in a Fox 9 report on a rash of school bus crashes in Minnesota.
Here are other selected items from the Fridley Police Department's log of incidents for the week of Aug. 30–Sept. 5, 2012.
Aug. 30, 2012:
- A caller reported a boyfriend through a rock through the window of an apartment in the 100 block of 83rd Avenue NE after an argument.
- Unity Hospital reported an internal-use laptop had been missing for several weeks.
- Police found and arrested two juvenile males suspected of stealing a bike from the 600 block of 58th Avenue NE.
Aug. 31, 2012:
- Juveniles toilet-papered a house in the 6000 block of Third Street NE.
- Officers attempted to mediate a verbal altercation between a grandmother and mother in the 8000 block of Fairmont Circle NE over the correct placement of a child seat in a vehicle, then assisted the daughter in properly buckling her child in the vehicle.
Sept. 2, 2012:
- Police responding to a report of a male pointing a gun at a passing train at the railroad crossing on 69th Avenue NE found a male who was watching the trains and had a speed gun for clocking their speed.
- Officers tried to mediate a four-year-old dispute between neighbors in the 600 block of Fairmont Street NE.
Sept. 3, 2012:
- A driver arrested for driving after a suspended license in the 4300 block of Main Street NE also had hypodermic needles in her purse, a search of her vehicle revealed.
Sept. 4, 2012:
- Police transported a male passed out on the steps of an apartment building in the 6500 block of Channel Road NE to detox and contacted a babysitter for two young children he had left in the apartment.
- Two adult males, one armed with a metal pipe, had a confrontation over skateboards in the 7400 block of West Circle NE. Police mediated and sent both parties on their way.
- A report of three people acting suspiciously in the 4200 block of East River Road led officers to four people who had just gotten off the Northstar train.
- Police responding to a report of a light on inside the warming house at Ruth Circle Park found the light on but the building secure and (by looking in the window) no one inside.
- An intoxicated male was giving passing cars the middle finger near East River Road and 79th Way NE. Police transported him to the bus terminal.
Sept. 5, 2012:
- Police stopped three bicyclists for riding at night without lights in the 5800 block of East River Road. One fled who had an outstanding warrant fled but police found and jailed him.
- Police took a phone report regarding the caller's daughter was was possibly drugged at Two Stooges Bar and Grill and advised Anoka County Criminal Investigation Division.
- A woman huffing compressed air in the bathroom at Wal-Mart was sent to the hospital on crisis hold and served a trespass form keeping her from Wal-Mart.