(POLL) Are You Happy to See the Vikings Get a New Stadium?
The plan was approved by the Senate on Thursday.
With Senate approval coming on Thursday by a 36-30 vote, a new Minnesota Vikings stadium is on its way.
After plenty of twists and turns throughout the legislative session, debate intensified this week, as the House and Senate both held several late-night sessions to discuss the bill.
All that remains now is a signature from Gov. Mark Dayton, who has been an ardent stadium supporter. Dayton is holding a press conference at 5:45 p.m. today with stadium bill authors, Minneapolis Mayor R.T. Rybak and team owner Zygi Wilf, and Dayton could sign the bill then.
The new stadium will cost roughly $975 million, with the team slated to pay a little less than half. The state will pay about $348 million by expanding gambling. The city of Minneapolis will pay the remaing $150 million.
Under the plan, the Vikings will sign a 30-year lease on the new stadium, which will be built on the site of the Metrodome. The team would pay about $13 million annually in operating fees, and a public authority will be able to lease out the facility on non-game days.
Here's how the process played out in several Minnesota Patch communities:
- Woodbury: Rep. Kieffer Outlines ‘No’ Vote on Vikings Stadium Bill
- Edina: Michel Helps Vikings Stadium Bill Clear Senate and Downey: Vikings Stadium 'Too Big, Too Fancy, Too Expensive'
- Golden Valley: Winkler Says He'll Vote for Stadium Bill
- Lakeville: Garofalo Only South Metro Republican to Support Stadium Bill
- Maple Grove: Maple Grove Legislators Vote Against Vikings Stadium Bill
- Stillwater: Vikings Stadium Bill Passes House, Senate Despite ‘No’ Votes from Stillwater Area Legislators
- Hopkins: Latz Votes 'Yes,' Stadium Bill Passes Senate
- Inver Grove Heights: Here's Why Rep. Joe Atkins Voted 'Yes'
- Shakopee: Robling Votes 'Yes,' Vikings Stadium Passes Senate
- Mendota Heights: Senate OKs Vikings Stadium Bill, Metzen Votes 'Yes' and House Votes 'Yes' on Vikings, Hansen Votes 'No'
- St. Louis Park: District 44 Reps Vote 'Yes' on Stadium
- Richfield:VIDEO: Senate OKs Vikings Stadium Biil, Kelash Votes 'Yes'
- Oakdale: Oakdale’s Legislators Vote ‘Yes’ on Vikings Stadium
- Minnetonka: Sen. Bonoff: User Fees Needed in Stadium Bill
- St. Michael: Koch, Minnesota Senate Approve Final Vikings Stadium Offer
- Rosemount: Vikings Stadium Bill Passes, Bills, Gerlach Vote 'No'
Now, we want to know what you think about the new Vikings stadium. Take our poll, and be sure to leave a comment below.