UPDATED: Occupy Movement Marks One-Year Anniversary
Has Occupy Wall Street, or the issues it raised, had an affect on you, your thinking or your life in Fridley?
Updated below. The Occupy movement started one year ago Monday on Wall Street in New York City. Within weeks, Occupy reached Minnesota with demonstrations and an encampment at Government Plaza in downtown Minneapolis.
The same site is the location for a commemorative Occupy anniversary event set for 7 p.m. Monday at the same location (see livestream OccupyMN video), as well as a support rally for Occupy-related arrestees who have a court hearing Monday, from 1–3 p.m.
Update: Seth McKee, who lived in Fridley until moving to northeast Minneapolis a couple weeks ago, recalled his involvement with OccupyMN in Twitter messages Monday:
I delivered food, blankets, pillows that I acquired from the Salvation Army, Goodwill & garage sales. I couldn't camp or participate in actions for fear they would have a negative impact on my ongoing custody battle if I were arrested.
I feel the protests raised some very important issues into the mainstream that remain a part of today's current social dialog. I think candidates like [Massachusetts Democratic U.S. Senate candidate] Liz Warren have led the discussion [to] a new, positive level, putting the focus on social responsibility.
Has Occupy had an impact on you? What are your thoughts about Occupy, one year later? Leave a comment below or share your opinion with a Patch Local Voices post.
Here are links to some of our Occupy-related posts over the past year.
OccupyMN demonstrations and encampment in downtown Minneapolis:
- OccupyMN Draws a Crowd on First Day
- Three Generations Attend OccupyMN Protest Together
- Deputies Take Protesters' Tents at OccupyMN
Commentary on Occupy:
- Poll: Are Occupy Tents Part of Right to Dissent?
- Local Voices: What Is Next for the Occupy Movement?
- Ellison: Politicians Shouldn't Try To Lead 'Occupy' Protesters
- Ellison: Inspired by 'Occupy' Protests
- Former Fridley resident and Fridley Patch contributor Liala Helal interviewed Walker Friend, 20, who hosted livestream video from OccupyMN's encampment in downtown Minneapolis, for the International Falls Journal.
Just for fun: