How You Can Help Families Affected by Newtown School Shooting from Fridley
People all over the world want to know how to help Sandy Hook residents following Friday's horrifying mass shooting. Post "I want to help" in this comment thread to get updates on what you can do.
In the wake of the unimaginable tragedy at Sandy Hook School Friday people from all over the world—in Connecticut, California, Canada and much farther away in Australia and India— have sent an outpouring of support and want to know how they can help.
If you want to be notified via email of ways to provide comfort and support during this difficult time, please post in the comments section: "I want to help."
In Fridley, the messages of support and sympathy have come from school districts, teachers and churches:
- 'My ❤ is w/all affected': Fridley-Area Social-Media Response to CT Shooting
- Fridley Area Faith Community Responds to CT School Shooting
- 'A Tragedy in Connecticut That Affects Us All'—Spring Lake Park Schools
Patch will continue to update this article with ways to help—posting updates to the story as well as in the comments thread, triggering an email notification to commenters—and if you know of an organization or fundraiser providing assistance, let us know in the comments section, too.
The United Way of Western Connecticut, in partnership with Newtown Savings Bank, has created the Sandy Hook School Support Fund to help provide support services to the families and community that are affected.
Check donations may be mailed to:
Sandy Hook School Support Fund
c/o Newtown Savings Bank
39 Main Street, Newtown CT 06470
If you have questions on the fund, you may call 800-461-0672.
A former Sandy Hook Elementary School student named Ryan Kraft, also a longtime neighbor of the Lanza family, posted a Local Voices blog on Newtown Patch saying he set up a fund to help heal his community.
The link to the fund site is here — http://www.crowdrise.com/SHSRelief — and according to Kraft, all donations are directed toward the school's PTSA organization. Please help in any way you can.
- Victims Relief Fund set up by former SHS student and Lanza family neighbor
- United Way's Sandy Hook Support Fund Announcement
- How to Donate With a Credit Card
Patch has a local website in Newtown. Here are more links to Newtown Patch’s coverage:
- Police Official: 27 Dead, 'It is Not a Simplistic Scene'
- 'In Sheer Shock' — Newtown Community Seeks News, Updates
- Reaction: Sandy Hook School Shooting
- Police Raid Sandy Hook Home Hours After Shooting
- [PHOTOS] Newtown School Shooting
- Newtown Principal Remembered as 'Warm,' 'Selfless'
- Ryan Lanza, Wrongly Named As Mass Murderer, Left To Grieve