(UPDATED) PHOTOS: Fire Overnight on Elm Street in Fridley
The commercial building at 7800 Elm St. NE houses automotive businesses.
Update (1:30 p.m. Tuesday): Fridley Fire Chief John Berg said in an email Tuesday that an overnight fire at a commercial building on Elm Street NE started when a gas can ignited, injuring one person:
The fire was reported just after midnight by one of two occupants that reported they had a gasoline fire in the building. Both occupants escaped, one with minor burns. They were apparently transferring gasoline from a vehicle to a gas can when it ignited. They attempted to fight the fire but, were forced out of the building. The fire ignited a vehicle in the building. Firefighters encountered heavy black smoke and supplied the building fire suppression system until they were able use a thermal imager to determine that it was a vehicle on fire. They used two hose lines to extinguish the fire. The damage to the building appears to be limited to smoke.
Original post (12:17 a.m. Tuesday, updated 2 a.m. Tuesday): Just after midnight Monday crews responded to a fire alarm and heavy smoke at a commercial building at 7800 Elm St. NE, Fridley.
The Fridley Fire Department battled the blaze with mutual aid from the SBM (Spring Lake Park-Blaine-Mound) and Coon Rapids fire departments.
At about 12:30 a.m. Tuesday, firefighters inside the building reported on emergency radio having knocked down the main fire. A man and woman drove up a few minutes later and hurried to the building, saying, "That's our shop!"
The building appears to house two automotive-related businesses: William Jayze Limousine Service and Tow Guys Northside Towing. A white limousine was parked outside the west side of the building. Firefighters opened a south door for ventilation, revealing a car on a lift and a tow truck inside.
Fire crews remained on the scene well past 1 a.m. Tuesday. Look for an update here on the extent of the fire and the condition of the building.