Auditions for Fridley Community Theatre's Anything Goes Start Monday
Try outs are May 9, 11, and 14, but non-actors are needed too.
Other audition dates are May 11, 6-9 p.m. and May 14, 10 a.m.-noon, with call-backs on May 15. We expect that a complete audition will take about 1 hour.
"We hope to have a large cast and would love to have entire families show up and audition as a unit—that's what community theatre is all about!" said the theater's Maureen Collins in an email Monday morning.
Anyone may audition and no appointment is necessary. Auditions are on a first-come, first-served basis and last about an hour.
Here is what to bring to the audition if you'd like to try out:
- Tap shoes if you have them, but they're not required to audition.
- A calendar with all possible conflicts between the audition date and the final performance on Aug. 7.
- A current, color photo of yourself that the Theatre can keep. It doesn't have to be a formal headshot; a snapshot is fine.
The theatre asks that children who are younger than 15 years old come during the first half hour of the audition so they can try out as a group. There are no speaking parts for children in Anything Goes so the audition for kids will be limited to singing and dancing.
Those who audition will learn who the theater has cast within one week. Rehearsals will begin as soon as casting is complete, most likely during the second week of May. Anything Goes performances will be at the Fridley District Auditorium from July 29 to August 7.
Cast of Characters
Here are the acting parts in Anything Goes:
- Reno Sweeny – (Alto) Evangelist-turned-nightclub singer, old friend of Billy’s
- Billy Crocker – (Tenor) Assistant to Elisha, suitor of Hope
- Hope Harcourt – (Soprano) Debutante, object of Billy’s affection
- Mrs. Evangeline Harcourt – Hope’s haughty and overbearing mother
- Sir Evelyn Oakleigh – (Baritone) Hope’s wealthy and handsome English fiancé
- Moonface Martin – (Baritone) Public Enemy Number 13
- Elisha J. Whitney – Ivy League, Wall Street Banker, Billy’s boss
- Reno’s Angels (Purity, Charity, Chastity, Virtue) – Dancers
- Ching and Ling – Chinese Converts, Reformed Gamblers, Follow Bishop Dobson
- Captain, Steward, Ship’s Purser, Bishop Henry T. Dobson
- Ships Crew, Passengers, Reporters, Photographers, FBI Agents
The theatre is also seeking a variety of other kinds of volunteers, including musicians, technicians, stage managers, set builders, painters, costumers, props-builders, marketers, promoters, social networkers (Facebook, Twitter and blogs), ticket managers, ushers, concession sellers, web managers, photographers and more.
For more information, email FridleyCommunityTheatre@gmail.com, call 612-850-3003, or visit the theatre's website.