3 Months in Jail for Fridley Mom Who Shamed Girl with Diaper, Shaved Head
The 12-year-old had received an 'F' at school. The judge called the public 'diaper duty' punishment an "assault on her dignity," the Star Tribune said.
A Fridley mother went directly to jail Wednesday after an Anoka County District Court judge sentenced her to three months for publicly humiliating her 12-year-old daughter last May, according to the Star Tribune.
She will be on supervised probation for two years and will have to follow a child plan ordered by the court, the newspaper reported.
The full sentence was one year in jail, but the judge stayed nine months of that sentence providing she complies with the terms of probation, according to the St. Paul Pioneer Press.
The mother, 38, pled guilty to malicious punishment of a child last month, as did her boyfriend, who will be sentenced next week, the Star Tribune said.
The girl's father has provided foster care for the girl and her three siblings since the incident, according to Fox 9.
"It was a very strange thing," Lt. Mike Monsrud of the Fridley Police Department told Patch after the May 2012 incident at the Rice Creek Townhouses. Even as police took them away in the back of a squad car the couple was joking and laughing about the situation, he said—apparently finding it hard to believe police would find fault with their method of punishment. A neighbor reported the incident, which Monsrud said lasted about half an hour.
- Fridley 'Diaper Duty' Mom Pleads Guilty to Malicious Punishment
- 'Diaper Duty' Charges: They Shaved Girl's Hair, Put Her in Diaper, Made Her Run in Public
- Couple Made Girl Run in Public with Diaper, Police Say
This is the narrative from the criminal complaint:
1. On May 08, 2012 at approximately 7:16 PM, Fridley police were dispatched to a townhome on 68th Avenue NE, Fridley, in Anoka County, Minnesota, on a report of a juvenile female with her head shaved being forced to run outside wearing a diaper.
2. [Witness] observed twelve year-old [girl] standing outside or over thirty minutes wearing a diaper and tank top. [Witness] said [girl] was being disciplined for getting an "F" on her report card and that her parents had also shaved her head.
3. Officers arrived and found [girl] hysterically crying. There were approximately thirty to fifty people, including several adult men and teenage boys, who had gathered to watch [girl] who was wearing a tank top and adult diaper. Her entire head had been shaved recently, as there were shavings on her neck and chest. While being escorted to a squad car, an on-looking neighbor took a baby blanket off of her own child and wrapped it around [girl] to cover her up.
4. [Girl's] mother ... said she did not see what the problem was and that she was simply disciplining her child by embarassing her. [Mother's] husband ... said that [girl] was warned several times that is she did not start listening in school and getting better grades she would be forced to wear a diaper and shave her head.
5. [Girl] indicated she did not bring her school assignments home and was told by [mother] that she would be getting her head shaved and that she would be on "diaper duty." [Mother] shaved her head and [boyfriend] forced her to put on a diaper. She was then forced to go outside and repeatedly sprint from the basketball court and back. [Girl] said she had run the distance five times before police arrived. One of her classmates from school saw [girl] and was calling her name while she was running but [girl] told him to leave her alone. [Girl] said several people saw her in her diaper and that this is the third time she has been put on "diaper duty."