120 Days in Jail for Stepdad in 'Diaper Duty' Humiliation of 12-Year-Old
Shaming over 'F' at school happened in front of Fridley neighbors—one of whom called police.
A judge on Tuesday sentenced the stepfather of a 12-year-old girl who he helped publicly shame with "diaper duty" to 120 days in jail, according to KARE-11.
The incident happened on May 8, 2012. The girl's mother and stepfather shaved her head and forced her to wear a diaper outside in front of neighbors, according to the charges of malicious punishment of a child brought against both adults.
In addition to the 120-day jail sentence, the judge imposed another 245 days behind bars that will remain stayed if Landrum completes his probation successfully. He must also perform 30 hours of community service, pay a $300 fine and complete two years probation.
Last month, the girl's mother got a three-month jail sentence. Her full sentence was one year in jail, with nine months stayed providing she complies with probation terms, according to the St. Paul Pioneer Press.
The father of the girl has provided foster care for the girl and her three siblings since the incident, according to Fox 9.
"It was a very strange thing," Lt. Mike Monsrud of the Fridley Police Department told Patch after the May 2012 incident at the Rice Creek Townhouses. Even as police took them away in the back of a squad car the couple was joking and laughing about the situation, he said—apparently finding it hard to believe police would find fault with their method of punishment. A neighbor reported the incident, which Monsrud said lasted about half an hour.
- 3 Months in Jail for Mom Who Shamed Girl with Diaper, Shaved Head
- Fridley 'Diaper Duty' Mom Pleads Guilty to Malicious Punishment
- 'Diaper Duty' Charges: They Shaved Girl's Hair, Put Her in Diaper, Made Her Run in Public
- Couple Made Girl Run in Public with Diaper, Police Say
This is the narrative from the criminal complaint:
1. On May 08, 2012 at approximately 7:16 PM, Fridley police were dispatched to a townhome on 68th Avenue NE, Fridley, in Anoka County, Minnesota, on a report of a juvenile female with her head shaved being forced to run outside wearing a diaper.
2. [Witness] observed twelve year-old [girl] standing outside or over thirty minutes wearing a diaper and tank top. [Witness] said [girl] was being disciplined for getting an "F" on her report card and that her parents had also shaved her head.
3. Officers arrived and found [girl] hysterically crying. There were approximately thirty to fifty people, including several adult men and teenage boys, who had gathered to watch [girl] who was wearing a tank top and adult diaper. Her entire head had been shaved recently, as there were shavings on her neck and chest. While being escorted to a squad car, an on-looking neighbor took a baby blanket off of her own child and wrapped it around [girl] to cover her up.
4. [Girl's] mother ... said she did not see what the problem was and that she was simply disciplining her child by embarassing her. [Mother's] husband ... said that [girl] was warned several times that is she did not start listening in school and getting better grades she would be forced to wear a diaper and shave her head.
5. [Girl] indicated she did not bring her school assignments home and was told by [mother] that she would be getting her head shaved and that she would be on "diaper duty." [Mother] shaved her head and [boyfriend] forced her to put on a diaper. She was then forced to go outside and repeatedly sprint from the basketball court and back. [Girl] said she had run the distance five times before police arrived. One of her classmates from school saw [girl] and was calling her name while she was running but [girl] told him to leave her alone. [Girl] said several people saw her in her diaper and that this is the third time she has been put on "diaper duty."